Community Health Advocate
This position was created to fulfill the role of managing and coordinating the Community-based Integrated Service model of the agency. The Community Health Advocate-I is committed to the prevention, early intervention, linkage and retention in care for individuals living with HIV. The position is particularly focused on addressing gaps in the system of care, both at the community and individual level. This position will work in conjunction and in support of the Community Health Advocate-II to carry out service delivery.
The Community Health Advocate-I will function under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Programs.
Education and Professional Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, not required
- 1-2 years of relevant experience specific to the populations served with Bachelor’s degree
- 4 years of relevant experience specific to the populations served if no Bachelor’s degree
- Health/Social Services-related background preferred
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Shared-life experience with populations of focus
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures
- Knowledge of computers and relevant software applications
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Professional presentation
- Capacity and willingness to embrace service to individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Strong cultural intelligence
- Capacity and willingness to take on new projects
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage, Link and/or re-link individuals living with HIV into medical care
- Carry our administrative and support functions, working in conjunction with Community Health Advocate-II.
- Conduct the full range of Early Intervention Services as defined in the Palm Beach County Ryan White standards of care, with a particular focus on referral and linkage.
- Conduct Medical Case Management duties as defined by Palm Beach County Ryan White standards of care
- Apply the core competencies of a Community Health Worker approach to serve individuals living with HIV.
- Assist High-risk HIV-negative persons who are at a high risk for the acquisition or transmission of HIV and reduce their risk behaviors by connecting them to support services according to their need
- Conduct Eligibility Determination at the point of service and maintain documentation
- Assist clients with enrollment in health insurance as a Certified Application Counselor (CAC)
- Assist with processing premium and co-payment for Health Insurance Continuation
- Coordinate medical transportation for clients when appropriate.
- Work with partner entities to assist with the completion of required information such as enrollment, eligibility determination and overall follow-up.
- Maintain timely documentation for all services in Provide database
- Maintain knowledge of community resources to assist in meeting the needs of clients in Palm Beach County.
- Plan and develop inclusive community relations and community outreach programs for HIV education, testing, early intervention and case management support.
- Act as a community liaison by distributing materials that raise awareness of and reduce the stigma of living with HIV.
- Coordinate regularly with other providers and community-based entities
- Attend regular staff meetings, trainings and other meetings as required.
- Maintain a log and track all daily community service activities to identify tactics and measure success against expected objectives.
- Complete all trainings and certifications, as required
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Valid State of Florida Driver’s License with appropriate insurance coverage. Ability to travel, as needed, within HCSEF’s service area: Palm Beach, Indian River, St. Lucie, Okeechobee, and Martin counties.
- Physical demands are minimal for this position and include sitting, standing, walking reaching, light-lifting (less than 25 lbs) and any other office situation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Voluntary Termination: This position requires two weeks’ notice.
- May require flexibility with scheduling, as necessary.
This position is full time, Non-Exempt
HCSEF is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
Current Employment Opportunities