Community Health Advocate - Prevention
This position was created to fulfill the role of managing and coordinating the Community-based Integrated Prevention model of the agency. The Community Health Advocate-I is committed to serving individuals at risk for/living with HIV, through testing, prevention messaging, risk reduction counseling, linkages to care (including PrEP), medication adherence counseling and systems navigation. The position is particularly focused on addressing gaps in the system of care, both at the community and individual level. This position will work in conjunction and in support of the Community Health Advocate-II to carry out service delivery.
The Community Health Advocate-I will function under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Programs.
Education and Professional Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, not required
- 1-2 years of relevant experience specific to the populations served with Bachelor’s degree
- 4 years of relevant experience specific to the populations served if no Bachelor’s degree
- Health/Social Services-related background preferred
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Shared-life experience with populations of focus
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures
- Knowledge of computers and relevant software applications
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Professional presentation
- Capacity and willingness to embrace service to individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Strong cultural intelligence
- Capacity and willingness to take on new projects
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement HCSEF’s Community-based Integrated Prevention Model
- Apply the core competencies of a Community Health Worker approach to engage and serve individuals at risk for/living with HIV.
- Conduct community-based HIV counseling and testing for priority populations
- Engage, link and/or re-link individuals living with HIV into medical care
- Develop, distribute and promote HIV prevention messaging through social media
- Assist individuals at a high risk for the acquisition or transmission of HIV and reduce their risk behaviors by connecting them to support services according to their need
- Conduct risk reduction activities for individuals living with HIV
- Promote medication and treatment adherence among individuals living with HIV
- Conduct screenings for PrEP/nPEP and make appropriate referrals
- Maintain knowledge of community resources to assist in meeting the needs of clients
- Assist clients through systems navigation, to access STD and other services/supports.
- Develop and maintain community partnerships including businesses, faith-based entities and other health/social service agencies.
- Maintain timely documentation for all services, as appropriate
- Attend regular staff meetings, trainings and other meetings as required.
- Complete all trainings and certifications, as required
- Carry our administrative and support functions, working in conjunction with Community Health Advocate-II
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Valid State of Florida Driver’s License with appropriate insurance coverage. Ability to travel, as needed, within HCSEF’s service area: Palm Beach, Indian River, St. Lucie, Okeechobee, and Martin counties.
- Physical demands are minimal for this position and include sitting, standing, walking reaching, light-lifting (less than 25 lbs.) and any other office situation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Voluntary Termination: This position requires two weeks’ notice.
- May require flexibility with scheduling, as necessary.
To apply please go to https://www.indeedjobs.com/health-council-of-southeast-florida/_hl/en_US?cpref=JXWAtnzf3XW5aRnY2g_zonsfzg9-fxtS-Vy_5UuZ5pQ