The Health Council of Southeast Florida (HCSEF) is a private, not-for-profit corporation created under Chapter 408.033 of the Florida Statutes, with the mission of providing coordinated health planning designed to enhance the provision of accessible, affordable and high quality health care services to all persons residing in Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River and Okeechobee Counties.
HCSEF currently serves as the legal fiscal sponsor and management team for the Florida Chronic Disease Prevention Coalition (FCDPC). The FCDPC works collaboratively to implement evidence- and practice-based policy, environmental, and system change interventions for chronic disease prevention in four goal areas: healthy weight, healthy behaviors, morbidity and mortality, and tobacco use. The general purpose of the Coalition is to form a statewide partnership of representatives from a broad range of sectors within the community including: academia, health care, human services, education, business, advocacy, planning and government to work together to build local community networks, communicate ideas and best practices that promote quality and access to chronic disease prevention education, care and resources.
Summary of Work:
HCSEF is seeking a highly motivated, organized and dedicated graduate student who is looking to gain experience related to public health planning and programs. This internship will provide an opportunity to enrich the didactic portion of the student’s academic pursuits through involvement with HCSEF’s planning efforts. Through this internship, the individual will develop a better understanding of health programs, services and resources, and will gain experience in coalition building and management.
Under the supervision of HCSEF, this individual will assist in coalition management projects and be charged with helping formalize the Coalition including: building infrastructure, engaging members, coordinating meetings, events and logistics, and assisting in the implementation of prevention strategies for the statewide coalition focused on reducing chronic diseases and their complications.
The internship is 20-30 hours per week for 12-14 weeks and will report to HCSEF’s office in Palm Beach Gardens. There is a small stipend and flexible hours.
- Increase awareness of programs and agencies throughout the state involved in chronic disease prevention work;
- Gain knowledge about the work of the Florida Chronic Disease Prevention Coalition;
- Gain knowledge and experience in coalition building and management;
- Gain experience managing and adding content to website;
- Gain experience coordinating logistics for statewide calls with coalition members;
- Gain experience managing a membership database;
- Learn about the various initiatives of the Health Council;
- Network and learn from others at the Health Council.
Desired Skills and Traits:
- Current or recent graduate student with a focus in Health Administration, Public Health, Health Policy, Community Health or related field;
- Experience using Microsoft Office products and willingness to learn new programs and software;
- Strong written communication and multi-tasking skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team; dependable and mature;
- Strong attention to detail, hard-working and conscientious;
- Willingness and eagerness to take on new tasks and roles;
- Desire to gain experience, learn new skills, increase knowledge and further one’s professional development.
If interested, please submit cover letter (optional), resume or CV to Celine Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org.